Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Thing 16: Wikis

I have used wikis a lot in the past year and a half.  I have some strong feelings toward them.  I don't really like them.  Here's why.

First, I hate wikispaces.  There's not spell check and the formatting is impossible.  I like PB Works a lot better, but it's still a challenge to format. I don't like that anyone can change my work.  I am aware that the wiki tracks changes, however, sometimes they're confusing and hard to read.  On top of that, it's up to an individual to look at the changes to see if I did my work or not. Finally, I have found the multiple pages and links hard to manage and make sure they're not broken.  It can be hard to keep up with if you are not proficient in the program.

Despite my dislike for wikis, I know students use them and like them.  I can see them being used in instructional settings for collaborative projects, world-wide discussions, and/or brainstorming. I think my dislike for wikis stems from the fact that they were NOT explained to me when I began using them. I was unfamiliar with the technology but expected to just jump right in and get wiki-ing. If students don't know what they are (which most of them do), explaining them clearly and thoroughly will help.  Also, leaders need to set strict guidelines and information for the project and track the changes often to keep the project and students in check.

1 comment:

  1. Despite not liking wikispaces, you have some great ideas for using and explaining them.

    ReplyDelete